Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 23/08/2017 09:03, Thomas Mueller wrote:
>> You (Dale) seem to have corrected the multipart/alternative problem, except
>> one message (Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: downgrading glibc) where
>> multipart/alternative went through.
>>
>> I would never design an email client to send multipart/alternative by
>> default, and might design an email client to not support
>> multipart/alternative at all in composed messages.
>
> And that's why your mail client will never rule the world, but Outlook
> and GMail's web interface does.
>
> I think it's high time we techies all got over the HTML thing now. We
> all have high speed internet these days, you can't buy a spinning drive
> smaller than 1TB anymore and apart from a few holdfasts like decent
> Mailman lists (eg this one and kernel.org), email is a thing that idiots
> at work use like it was IM. Most other folks moved on...

I tend to agree with that.  Mine shows both plain text and HTML just
fine.  Either one works.  By default, it blocks remote content which
generally results in a somewhat plain text email anyway, until I tell it
to show remote stuff.  The only reason I do set it up this way is for
gentoo.org and kde.org.  Everyone else gets HTML, all the time.

I suspect the percentage of even Gentoo mailing list users that use
software that can't show HTML is small. I wouldn't be surprised if it is
single digits even.  That said, Seamonkey is starting to rub me the
wrong way.  The only reason I'm still using it is because of email since
some websites don't load correctly anymore.  Since they changed that
reply to list to reply to sender, that has thrown me a serious curve
ball.  Before mentioning Thunderbird, it has the same default.  I found
that out while trying to figure out Seamonkey.  So, if I switch from
Seamonkey for email, it'll be something totally new and may even have
the same stupid "feature".

Maybe one day someone can post in HTML and no one says anything.  o_O

Dale

:-)  :-)