On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 11:21:12AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 20/08/2017 05:47, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >     I am getting random lockups on kernel 4.12.5.
> >
> > Three intel hosts (atom, early i7, i7 haswell) - its worse after a
> > suspend resume session.  Because these are in use Ive gone back to
> > 4.9.34 which is stable.
> > […]
>
> I'm seeing changes in 4.12 too and haven't bothered looking further as
> 4.11 still works for me. My external monitors and USB keyboard & mouse
> on laptops stopped working with 4.12 and other silliness which I forget.
>
> My techie spidey-sense is telling me it all smells a lot like someone
> tidied up .config and things moved around, so make oldconfig got confused.

I, too, did encounter problems with 4.12 (vanilla from kernel.org). I have a
PC with radeon driver and a laptop with intel graphcis. I always do make
oldconfig when building a new kernel version. But with 4.12, both those
machines stopped working, they hung at boot, I think when switching graphics
mode.

Finally I found the time and reconfigured my kernel from scratch on the
laptop, which eventually made it work again. The big PC is still waiting for
its turn and running on 4.10 for the time being.

--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

I have seen things you lusers would not believe.
I've seen Sun monitors on fire off the side of the multimedia lab.
I've seen NTU lights glitter in the dark near the Mail Gate.
All these things will be lost in time, like the root partition last week.
Time to die.