On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 10:17:27PM -0500, R0b0t1 wrote
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 12:38 AM, Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:
> >   I'm running a Core2-duo desktop from 2008 with 3 gigs of ram.  I want
> > to run it into the ground, not throw it away while it's still
> > functional.
>
> Unfortunately this isn't a viable strategy because typically you will,
> in a few months, if not a single month, spend more in electricity
> costs than you would purchasing a new single board computer.

  That might be true if running at full load 24x7.  Before going to bed
I run a script that...

* drops the cpu speed down to min (1.2 GHz) from the 2.4 GHz max using my
  own custom-written eselect module.

* turn the display off programmatically.  It uses 2 commands, so it'll
  work regardless of whether I run it from X or a true text console

#!/bin/bash
sleep 1 && xset -display :0.0 dpms force off
setterm --blank force

  The "setterm" command complains when run from X, but that's not a
problem

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>