On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 04:45:34PM -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote

> > Flash storage lasts far longer than that in practice. How often do you
> > upgrade a router?
>
> The "couple" was meant literally, i.e. typically 2 years until it
> breaks.  I don't know for sure if it is the flash or something else.
> It's not a bad brand - I have had many different brands, nothing lasts
> much more than that.  And I don't abuse them - in fact I pamper them :-)

  I've been using my SpeedTouch 546 ADSL router/modem ever since I
switched to my current ISP at the end of November 2007.  It's 3 months
to the 10th anniversary.  How is your local power system?  I keep all my
gear (computer/monitor/modem) behind a UPS for a couple of reasons...
1) To protect my gear against power surges/spikes/drops
2) To protect against the rare occurence when power goes off for 1 or 2
seconds

  I'm currently on 7 megabits down / 1 megabit up.  I live alone, and
7/1 easily handles 1080p video (e.g. Youtube).  The router/modem can
handle 10/1 and 15/1, which my ISP also offers.  To get 15/10, I need a
newer modem.  I have a SmartRG 505N waiting for when the ST546 dies...
or I decide I need more upload speed.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>