On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 06:48:48PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> ...alsaplayer requires that you say you want to use realtime
> capabilities:
> alsaplayer -r -o jack
> Yeah, just the -r most likely. Also, depending on your sound card
> 128/2 might be a bit tight, but let's try for it and see what happens.

Unfortunately, adding the -r had no effect as far as I can tell.

According to the alsaplayer manpage,

          -r, --realtime
          Enable realtime scheduling.  To  use  this  as a  normal
          user,  alsaplayer must be SUID root.

So I tried setting alsaplayer SUID root:

# chmod u+s `which alsaplayer`

Then as a regular (non-root) user:

# alsaplayer -r -o jack &
Gtk-WARNING **: This process is currently running setuid or setgid.
This is not a supported use of GTK+. You must create a helper
program instead. For further details, see:

    http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html

Refusing to initialize GTK+.
[2]  + exit 1     alsaplayer -r -o jack

I'm guessing that most folks don't have to worry about the whole
SUID root thing (or creating a "help program")?

Any more thoughts?

Thank you for all your help!

Matt

--