On Saturday, 16 September 2017 13:27:18 BST Marc Joliet wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 13. September 2017, 19:07:20 CEST schrieb Mick:
> > Another little problem I came across with Plasma is that neither the
> > keyboard, nor the spell checking respects the locale, L10N, or anything
> > else I have set up.  systemsettings5 shows en-GB as the selected language
> > and keyboard, but (I think) a US keyboard layout and spell checking
> > language is used instead.
>
> I have a slightly different problem with recent Plasma versions, but I
> wonder if they're related:
>
> Changing the spell checking language doesn't do anything, it sticks to
> whatever was selected to begin with, even though it *looks* like I changed
> the selection.  For example, if German is the initial selection, after
> changing to any English variant English-only words are still highlighted as
> incorrect.
>
> I did just test changing the keyboard, though, and that still works (via the
> default Ctrl-Alt-k keybinding).

Ahh!  This is interesting.  It only showed US keyboard being available.  So I
looked into systemsettings5 and I discovered only US keyboard was listed.  So,
I added the UK keyboard and this seems to have fixed the keyboard problem.
Thanks for the hint.

> > Is this another systemd-R-us imposition, or is there a way I can set it up
> > so that Plasma & friends respect the default environment settings?
>
> I don't understand why you would think that to be the case, systemd also
> just uses (and controls, if you use localectl) the usual variables in /etc/
> locale.conf.
>
> > $ env | grep LANG
> > LANG=en_GB.UTF8
>
> For completeness, I've got:
>
> % env | grep LANG
> LANG=de_DE.utf8
> LANGUAGE=de:en_GB
>
> HTH

Where is the LANGUAGE variable expected/required?  I have not found it in the
documentation.

--
Regards,
Mick