On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2017-10-08, R0b0t1 <r03...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Usually what happens is it will be corrupted in RAM after being
>> verified on disk, and faulty results will be saved to disk from RAM. A
>> user on the forums recently had this issue compiling dev-lang/vala,
>> and I have had related issues.
>
> I've had failing RAM corrupt files and cause compile failures (and
> various other odd problems). But, the exact symptoms tend to be pretty
> random.  The chances are infinitesmal that a HW problem would corrupt
> the download (or the compile itself) in an identical manner a second
> time.

Right, redownloading or rerunning the compilation usually fixes such
issues. At the same time, I have seen people hit bad areas of RAM
repeatedly and have it look like other errors.

>> As for what the error means: definitions are missing, which from an
>> end-user perspective is not really a fixable issue.
>
> Sometimes there are external library version/use-flag requirements
> that don't make it into an ebuild file correctly.  But, all the other
> cases I've run into like that yielded plenty of Google hits on the
> error messages.

In this case the namespace of the missing declaration is inside
Mozilla's, e.g. it is part of Firefox or a closely bundled library.

Cheers,
    R0b0t1