On Tuesday, 17 October 2017 04:03:14 BST Dale wrote:
> P Levine wrote:
> > ​AFAIK, plasma5 uses ~/.local and ~/​.config.
>
> I wish I had read this earlier.  I keep forgetting that.  I've read it
> before but I never seem to recall it when I really really need it.  If I
> ever remember to do just those two files, I'll remember it most likely.
> Big IF there.

Having struggled monumentally with KMail over the last several months, I got
fed up enough with setting up a new user from scratch that I now have a
fresh user set up and ready to go. It has the few things I want to keep in
my own account, and an empty directory structure for KMail. All I have to do
is (re)move the old account, copy the ready account into place and go.

That would be harder if I didn't have a ~/common partition containing
everything I'd need if I installed another distro but without the version-
specific KDE stuff. It's a hangover from the days when I hadn't settled on a
single distro, but it's proved its worth this year.

--
Regards,
Peter.