On 05/11/2017 17:11, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 6:43 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> There are other schedulers out there that succeed where cron fails (eg
>> Control-M, chronos, quartz), but those are all large, bulky, designed
>> for big complex installs/requirements and probably not suited for simple
>> things you'd deploy out of a base in portage
>>

> Amusing that you classify 99.999% of all desktop installs as "big
> complex installs."

Heh :-)

Well, to a first approximation all Linux installs are servers or phones
so whatever is going on in desktop space can be disregarded

> But, I agree that it makes far more sense to just have desktop users
> use an appropriate cron implementation designed to handle the machine
> being off most of the time vs trying to use shell scripting to make
> vixie cron into such an implementation.

Vixie cron and it's clones needs to die, really. The number of places
where it makes sense is falling by the day; showing no sign of slowing
down. I think I have 3 cronjobs left across my fleet that actually make
sense and all of them are just-in-case-I-screwed-up-elsewhere safety
nets. The very idea of cron itself comes from the '80s and to be honest,
we don't work anymore like we did in the 80s

> FWIW this is probably the reasoning behind including cron-like
> functionality in systemd, and having it support optionally running
> jobs if the system was down during a calendar-based event.  It was
> considered bare-bones functionality that any desktop or generic server
> would need.  It is, of course, optional, and just about any kind of
> rule is supported.  I personally use systemd-cron which basically is a
> wrapper+generator around /etc/crontab and the various /etc/cron.*/
> scripts.

Agreed again. My desktop cronjobs are all empty and when I had some they
were of the "do this once a week or once a day" variety. I didn't care
when they ran, just that they did every so often

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com