On 2017-11-05 14:22, Rich Freeman wrote:

> Second, my actual objection is more to sticking wrappers around an
> upstream program just to extend its capabilities, when other software
> is maintained upstream that already does what you're re-inventing.
> When you already have 47 different cron implementations out there, I'm
> not sure it adds a lot to have a distro-specific solution.  The distro
> should certainly be providing stuff like /etc/cron.*/ and the scripts
> inside when upstream isn't providing them.  By all means include a
> stock wrapper /etc/crontab that runs that stuff at set times for those
> running 24x7 with vixie cron.  If run-scripts was implemented in
> python instead of shell this objection wouldn't go away.

I really want to stop prologing the agony of this thread, but I just
have to point out that when you install cronie with the anacron flag (as
I just did, if only to know what I'm talking about), you _still_ get a
wrapper: it's called /etc/cron.hourly/0anacron.  Simpler than run-crons
for sure, but the principle is the same.

After all distros exist for a reason (over and above building packages).
If upstreams always did the glue job right, a bot could handle all the
package builds and you gentoo devs could go home ;-)