R0b0t1 wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 12:10 AM, R0b0t1 <r03...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> To reply to all that posted so far.  I did see that it requires physical
>>> access, like a lot of other things.  Once a person has physical access,
>>> there are a number of things that can go wrong.
>>>
>>> It does seem to be one of those things that while possible, has anyone
>>> been able to do it in the real world and even without physical access?
>>> Odds are, no.
>>>
>> The most widely publicized example is STUXNET. There are also reports
>> that malicious USB keys with driver-level exploits are sometimes used
>> for industrial espionage.
>>
>> The key point being that in either case, someone is spending a lot of
>> money to research and set up a plausible attack.
>>
>>> Still, all things considered, Linux is pretty secure.  BSD is more
>>> secure from what I've read but Linux is better than windoze.
>>>
>>> Dale
>>>
>>> :-)  :-)
>>>
> I suppose I should add that once the basic work has been done for an
> exploit like this it will have great reproducibility. But at that
> level you are (usually) talking about very well funded actors, and one
> should also be worried about controller-level exploits that would be
> much harder to discover from an operating system.
>
> If you can't surround your computer with trustworthy armed guards,
> assume you suffer from a serious vulnerability based on the
> preliminary work the article is talking about.
>
> Rainbows and Sunshine,
>      R0b0t1

I've considered encrypting my stuff.  I'm talking locked down from power
up all the way through.  Those who have been on this list a while and
know me, they know that would be a disaster.  If anything could go wrong
with it, it would.

While I try to be secure, I'm not going nuts over it.  I do lock my
screen if I leave and sometimes even logout but I don't put hand
grenades and other booby traps around it.  Heck, if I did, I'd likely
trip up and hurt myself.  Ooops!!

I guess I'll just kept my top secret stuff in my head.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)