________________________________
From: Michael Palimaka <kensing...@gentoo.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2017 7:56 AM
To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Subject: [gentoo-user] #gentoo experiences

Hi all,

I'm collecting information about people's experiences in #gentoo.

I'm interested in both good and bad experiences, with users, developers,
and operators. Basically, anything that anyone would care to share would
be much appreciated.

Feel free to contact me off-list if you'd rather not reply here (if so,
please let me know if you'd like your response kept totally private -
otherwise there is a chance that I might anonymise and share it).

Kind regards,

Michael

Personally, I've always loved the pure customizability, started on slackware
back in the day, redhat, mandrake (lol), moved to bsd's for a bit, then
ubuntu/fedora.  Finally when I found gentoo and gave it a shot, must admit I
remember the installing was a bit much for my level back then.  Been learning
ever since, it's quite shocking how well I handle all sorts of init scripts,
portage nuances, and such now.

Most things about gentoo have always been top-notch, the only things that do
come up from time to time just require some patience to get through.  Example
package X version Y won't compile, you have many choices, read the errors, see
if a dependency perhaps needs fixed/added/updated.  See if maybe it's a simple
build option that needs added or removed from the ebuild, or possibly a USE
flag change.   Then the more often then not answer if you aren't in dire need
of package X right then, is simply to wait a week, then it'll magically work as
someone else using gentoo has found the issue and fixed it.

If anyone new to gentoo is reading the mailing list, I would heavily suggest
only have vital packages in your world file,  never GCC or anything else that
gets pulled in by everything under the sun, it just makes emerging more hassle
then needed on rare occasions.

Hope that helps your cause Michael :)
Tsukasa