On 10/12/17 23:08, Walter Dnes wrote:
Oddly enough, although the details are different, that passage I've
quoted pretty accurately describes how I feel about Gnome ...:-)

   I can't find it right now on Google, but I vaguely remember that
Lennart asked the Gnome people to make systemd a hard dependancy.  Not
much later logind, which is required by Gnome, picks up systemd as a
hard dependancy.

Imho that's no problem. If a higher level has a hard dependency on a lower level, that's no surprise. And why should I care if someone else's desktop pulls in any particular low-level plumbing. :-)

BUT! If my choice of low-level plumbing (systemd) pulls in a desktop I don't want that is a BIG PROBLEM. If I'm running headless, I don't even WANT a desktop !!! I more and more get the feeling that linux is standardising on the Gnome desktop, which I really just DO NOT get on with.

Cheers,
Wol