Beginning the install (AMD64 no-multilib).  I downloaded
stage3-amd64-nomultilib-20171215T184104Z.tar.bz2 and extracted.  Here's
make.conf...

# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
# built this stage.
# Please consult /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for a more
# detailed example.
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"

# NOTE: This stage was built with the bindist Use flag enabled
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"

# This sets the language of build output to English.
# Please keep this setting intact when reporting bugs.
LC_MESSAGES=C

  I tried a couple of different mirrors.  No CHOST line. The example
file usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example shows...

CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"

  I could insert that, but I wonder if anything else is screwed up.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>