Am Donnerstag, 21. Dezember 2017, 10:45:41 CET schrieb Jörg Schaible:
> Hi,
>
> Am Mon, 18 Dec 2017 11:07:08 -0500 schrieb John Blinka:
> > On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 11:00 AM, Grant Edwards
> >
> > <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> How do I skip grub and continue?
> >
> > emerge --skipfirst --resume
>
> This is unfortunately really dangerous, because "emerge --resume" will
> recalculate the order of the outstanding packages and you have no guarantee
> that the first one will be the one that failed the last run. In that case
> you skip an arbitrary package and you may increase your problems.
>
> You can use --skipfirst only if you have restarted emerge with --resume only
> and you have ensured that it will really continue with the failing package.
> You may abort the build then with CTRL-C and restart emerge with both
> options.

That clashes with my understanding, so I looked it up, and it turns out I was
right.  From
emerge(1):

>  --skipfirst
>
>               This option is only valid when used with --resume.  It removes
>               the first package in the resume list. Dependencies are
>               recalculated for remaining packages and any that have
>               unsatisfied dependencies or are masked will be automatically
>               dropped. Also see the related --keep-going option.

Note the "remaining dependencies" part.  Otherwise, what would be the point of
--skipfirst if
it were so unpredictable?

> > I had to do that several times in my 17.0 upgrades.
>
> Maybe more times than necessary ;-)

Really, sometimes I wonder why I keep seeing people on this list who clearly
haven't heard
of the --keep-going option.  It's there for a reason.  And don't tell me
anybody actually *likes*
having to manually continue the emerge process, because that's just so, so
tedious.

> Cheers,
> Jörg

Greetings