On 03/01/18 22:09, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 04/01/2018 00:02, Stroller wrote:
>>
>>> On 3 Jan 2018, at 21:55, Wols Lists <antli...@youngman.org.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> What would be nice, would be if "emerge --depclean" had the smarts to
>>> recognise that /usr/src/linux pointed to the current active kernel, and
>>> didn't wipe that when it cleaned out everything else :-) That way, at
>>> most you could have the current and latest kernel sources available
>>> pretty easily.
>>
>> You've jogged a long-hibernating memory - the accidental removal of the
>> current sources tree in an accident like this may be the exact reason why I
>> refuse to allow kernel versions to be actively emerged.
>
> I think that's a mountain and a molehill. You still have the image in
> /boot, config in /boot or in the running kernel, libs in /lib/modules
> and the bootloader is intact.
>
> Delete the sources?
> - Re-emerge them. 90 seconds.
> - Re-compile using existing config. 20 minutes
>
> So deleting the sources for the running kernel is a doh! moment. But no
> biggie, and certainly not cause for changing your routine (all in my own
> not at all humble opinion, of course)

But it's a royal pain, especially if you don't realise that's what's
happened, because a general emerge is likely to have a lot of grief.

Dunno how many ebuilds actually refer to /usr/src/linux for some of
their header files, but I doubt it's negligible. It's certainly caused
me grief in the past.

(Yes I think they're not supposed to, but what's that saying about
theory and practice?)

I don't like it when well-known problems cause general breakage that is
likely to cause havoc for unsuspecting users...

Cheers,
Wol