On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 23:16:19 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> On 13/01/2018 23:16, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 14:57:59 -0600, John Johnson wrote:
> >
> >> Shouldn't that be taken care of by the "/etc/fstab" entries?
> >
> > Those say whether the filesystem should be checked, not when.
> >
> >> Obviously, if "/usr" is on a separate partition, it needs to be
> >> mounted at the time when "/usr/sbin/fsck" is expected to be
> >> present.
> >
> > fsck is in /sbin, but that's not the point. If you have an initramfs,
> > fsck should be in it and run before /usr is mounted rw, which means it
> > has to be done by the initramfs. It's too late to do it when control
> > has been handed over because then /usr is already mounted rw.
>

> So what does the dirty check and fsck of / ?

OpenRC AFAIK.

> I don't have an initramfs, I don't have a separate /usr,

You need an initramfs and a separate /usr to experience this problem. You
have neither so you have avoided it twice, well done :-)

On systems where I have both, I also have a filesystem that does not use
fsck, which is a third way of avoiding the issue.

> I run OpenRC and the kernel command line says where / is for mounting

And the kernel mounts it ro, openrc remounts/ rw later on. It seems the
problem here is the initramfs mounting /usr rw before the attemt to run
fsck. If I felt like finger-pointing, I'd be tempted to point at the
initramfs.

--
Neil Bothwick

Windows to 486/50 mhz cpu: Don't rush me, don't rush me...