Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> On 2018-01-13 15:49, Dale wrote:
>
>> I think without a init thingy, it mounts / ro at first, runs the checks
>> and then remounts rw.
> Right.
>
>> I think it does the same with /usr.
> No, other filesystems are not mounted at all until they're checked, in
> this situation (which is the traditional one, fsck is older than any
> init thingy concept and a separate /usr was once highly recommended).
>
> :-P :-P

You may be right.  I recall at least / being done during the init thingy
part.  I thought /usr was to, since it is mounted along with / within
the init part before the regular OS boots.  That's my understanding of
the purpose of the init thingy is to mount / and /usr and then pivot
over to the regular boot process.  Maybe it mounts /usr ro or something.

Yea, it used to be recommended and in a way it can still be a good
idea.  I use LVM for example and I can increase /usr, /var, /home or
whatever without having to redo my drive setup.  The only thing I can't
change is / which is a regular file system.  Just have to cross that
bridge when I get there.  Oh, I had a log file file up /var once.
System was still running and I was able to figure out the problem before
it got worse.  I can't recall what the problem was now but messages was
huge, I mean HUGE.

Dale

:-)  :-)