On 01/19/2018 05:30 PM, Grant Taylor wrote:
I'm trying to juggle the various pieces as I understand them to see if everything can work together.

I have a fleeting thought that /might/ work. I want to write it down before I loose it.

1) Configure Sendmail's MTA to not have any listening daemon ports. - This means that all interface to the MTA will be via the /path/to/sendmail binary.
2)  Configure Sendmail's MSA to listen on TCP port 25.
3) Configure Sendmail's MSA to smart host (without encryption) through your existing SMTP to Exchange gateway.

I /think/ this addresses most parts.

SMTP from ??? connects to the MSA which connects to the Exchange Gateway which connects to Exchange via something other than SMTP. - I think that tracks.

Email from the local machine uses the /usr/sbin/sendmail interface which speaks SMTP to the world or a smart host.

I think that does work. Granted, there are some IPs and or ports to juggle to make sure that Sendmail's MSA and your SMTP to Exchange gateway don't conflict. But I think that should be possible to handle.

I don't know if the other common MTAs can do anything like this or not. I would hope that they can.

I will also say that it is possible to get Sendmail to do some really complex things. It may be possible to get a single sendmail daemon to do everything. But I think that is going to be more complicated, possibly needlessly so if the above recommendation works.

I need to know more details about the different accounts and how they interact with msmtp (which I have zero experience with) to know if they will play nicely with the above configuration.

The only niggling feeling I have is about 127.0.0.1:25. Is anything at all using that? I've run across a lot of programs that assume the local MTA is listening there. - If something is, then it's likely a matter of juggling IP(s) and port(s) that various things are listening on.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die