On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 15:21:35 -0700, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:

> > Log out, log in as root (or su from another user) and see if
> > /var/run/user/1000 exists. Rename it to something else in case you
> > need the contents, and then see if libreoffice works.
> >
> > If everything seems okay, get rid of the old version
> >
> > (My system has multiple users, I'm the only person logged in, and
> > folder 1000 (my user-id) is the only one there. I guess somehow some
> > old file has got "stuck" and needs deleting.)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Wol
>
> I solved it by unmerging / emerging "libreoffice".  The system required
> reboot, after that libreoffice start working for all users on the
> machine.

So what solved, the reinstall or the reboot?

> This is like a Windows solution, they always ask you to reboot the
> computer :-/

/var/run is a symlink to /run, which is on a tmpfs and would be cleared
with a reboot. It appears that Wol's suggestion of spurious files
in /var/run could well have been the cause.

--
Neil Bothwick

"Of course, I could switch back to Windows. At least there, if I have a
problem, I don't suffer under the illusion that I could ever fix it." -
Unknown (paraphrased)