On 08/02/18 20:13, Rich Freeman wrote:
If you're not using ccache, then you don't need /var/tmp to be on tmpfs. You
should only put /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs.

I disagree on this.  Unless you have something that uses gobs of space
on /var/tmp there is little reason not to make the whole thing a
tmpfs.

True. But I only said that's it's not needed. You can do it regardless.

If you do use ccache, then you need to mount both /var/tmp and
/var/tmp/portage as tmpfs.

I DEFINITELY disagree on this one.  What is the point of using ccache
and then storing it on tmpfs, unless it is just for dealing with
short-term build failures?

But above you said you should be putting /var/tmp on tmpfs :-P

Anyway, I was wrong about needing to put /var/tmp on tmpfs when using ccache. The correct thing to say is that *if* you put /var/tmp on tmpfs *and* are using ccache, then you need to make sure it's large enough to accommodate /var/tmp/portage as well as ccache's files.