On Sunday, 11 February 2018 05:41:28 GMT 80x24 wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 12:47 AM,
> Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> > [drm:dce_v11_0_afmt_setmode] *ERROR* Couldn't read SADs: 0
> > [...]
> > traps: plugin-containe[6833] general protection ip:7f0a2e1711b1
> > sp:7fff6f64dc30 error:0 in ld-2.25.so[7f0a2e15c000+23000]
> >
> > What is a SAD (other than a seasonal affective disorder)? That library
> > comes from glibc, of which I've had 5 versions or revisions in that time
> /**
>  * drm_edid_to_sad - extracts SADs from EDID
>  * @edid: EDID to parse
>  * @sads: pointer that will be set to the extracted SADs
>  *
>  * Looks for CEA EDID block and extracts SADs (Short Audio Descriptors)
> fr$
> *
>  * Note: The returned pointer needs to be freed using kfree().
>  *
>  * Return: The number of found SADs or negative number on error.
>  */
>
> Considering the term ``EDID'' and some audio related words, I think
> it's reading some info from your monitor.

Hmm. Interesting. Looks like I'll have to revise my screen setup. It's a
Samsung LED device with HDMI input. This box outputs HDMI too, but the other
boxes I use it on output DVI, so by piecemeal development I've ended up with
a four-port DVI switch, all connected with adapter cables.

It seems likely that EDID is getting lost, and I may now also have a reason
for the washed-out appearance of the screen. Modern websites with their pale
colours are hard to read. Even the green of KMail's quoted text is hard.

The other boxes I mentioned can also output VGA, and the screen can accept
VGA too and switch between inputs. So I just need a two-port VGA switch and
some cables. I've not long since thrown out all the old VGA stuff - damn! I
knew I should never throw anything away.

Thanks for your help.

--
Regards,
Peter.