On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 01:10:16 GMT Jack wrote:

> It's been a long time since I've needed to do it, and it was also due
> to a (cheap?) KVM switch, but I think there are two things that might
> help.  First, if you boot the PC with that monitor connected, it might
> actually read the EDID data.  Even if not, if you can capture it (one
> time use of a straigt DVI or VGA cable?) you can save it tp a file
> using x11-misc/read-edid, and then there is a way to get kernel/X to
> read that EDID file at startup instead of trying and failing to get it
> directly from the monitor.  If you can't find a reference, I'll dig and
> try to figure out if it's kernel paramater or xorg.conf that you need
> to mess with.

Yes, I remember something along those lines - reading EDID from a file
instead of the device. I don't think it's that simple though, as the screen
is being driven at the right resolution. I just get half-a-dozen or so
errors reported during a full day.

I'm expecting the bits to make a direct connection to arrive today, so
fingers crossed ...

--
Regards,
Peter.