On 02/18/18 10:09, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 09:54:07 -0800, Daniel Frey wrote:
>
>> I'd also tried getting the Gentoo LiveCD to boot via grub (although this
>> was almost two years ago) and never got it to boot. I don't remember if
>> I tried to get SysRescueCD to work either... on my newer EFI machines
>> I've been ditching Grub2 for refind.
>
> I used the systemd bootloader but I did try with refind, and it turns out
> I still have it installed. Here is the sysrescd.conf that I include from
> refind.conf
>
> menuentry "System Rescue Cd" {
>       icon EFI/refind/icons/os_sysrescd.png
>       loader /sysrescd/rescue64
>       initrd /sysrescd/initram.igz
>       options "subdir=sysrescd setkmap=uk rootpass=XXX"
> }
>
> I mount the sysrescd ISO and copy these files to /boot/sysrescd
>
> initram.igz
> rescue64
> sysrcd.dat
> sysrcd.md5
> version
>
> The entry for systemd-boot is
>
> title System Rescue Cd 5.2.0
> version       5.2.0
> linux /sysrescd/rescue64
> options       subdir=sysrescd setkmap=uk rootpass=XXX
> initrd        /sysrescd/initram.igz

Thanks for the tips.

I started moving away from Grub2 mostly because on my EFI computers it
was booting in blind mode so you couldn't see what was going on while
booting.

After messing with that now for an hour or so I've resolved that (on my
new laptop which I hadn't bothered moving to refind yet. So maybe I'll

The thing I hate is that the grub2 configuration generator generates
5000 line config files and if it doesn't do exactly what you want it's a
real pain in the arse to do something simple like rename a loader entry.

So I've been making my own config files that are much more brief. Now
that I've addressed the video problem (and I've also managed to boot
Windows 7 installed as EFI on a separate nvme drive with a manual
config) I'll mess with the booting from ISO again.

I wonder if I left enough in my /boot partition to do this, though...

Dan