On 03/26 09:22, R0b0t1 wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 8:55 AM, Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> >> I've never had this be easy enough I'd want to do it. Is it possible now?
> >> I.e. grabbing all deps wouldn't be necessary if Gentoo's library versions
> >> match the .deb's.
> >>

> > This could just be a language barrier issue, but it isn't entirely
> > clear to me what the question is, and whether it has been answered.
> >
> > The original question doesn't seem to have anything to do with Gentoo,
> > so I'm not sure why we're talking about "Gentoo's library versions."
> >
> > If the intent really was to ask how to fetch ubuntu packages for use
> > with ubuntu then it would probably make more sense to ask about it on
> > an Ubuntu list/forum/etc.
> >
> > If this is a Gentoo question and the submitter is just unfamiliar with
> > Gentoo and is using Ubuntu terminology that is fine, but I think it
> > would be helpful to have a bit more clarification, such as what the
> > end goal is.  Are we asking for tarballs of sources (distfiles)?  Are
> > we asking for binary packages?  Is this a question about generating
> > ebuilds for versions not in the main repo?  Is this about how to get a
> > .deb made for Ubuntu working on Gentoo?
> >
> > I think everybody is trying to be helpful, but is interpreting the
> > question differently.  Perhaps the original submitter already got the
> > answer they're looking for, which is fine.
> >

> Well, yes - I think the question as asked has been answered, but I'm
> trying to figure out what he was doing. I did assume he was going to
> be using the packages with Gentoo somehow, just based on the mailing
> list he used.

Hi,

sorry for my horrific bad English. I will try to explain, what I
intended to do, again. Hopefully this time with more success:

There is a package, which is "selfcontained". As an example here:
Blender, which can easily be downloaded from builder.blender.org as
*.bz2 archives, is also "selfcontained" as it includes everything,
what it needs to run successfully.

Despite the fact, that this way of packaging makes a software quite
independant from the layout of the distribution it will be installed
on, the maintainer of that package only support Debian/Ubunto and
has publishes onlu the commands needed to instruct the package
management system of thoses systems to install that software -- as
mentioned -- on Debian/Ubuntu-like systems.

As I am using Gentoo and wanted that package and didn't found any
other source and this package uses qt4 (included), I asked on this
mailing list for help, how to get access to the physical package,
which I wanted to unpack (low level) and try to get it working
somehow.

I dont asked on a Debian/Ubuntu mailing list as these are for
questions about -- beside other related things -- installing
packages on Debian/Ubuntu.

I asked on this mailing list, since I wanted to run that
Debian/Ubuntu package on a Gentoo system.

Cheers
Meino