On Tuesday, 10 April 2018 19:50:12 BST Floyd Anderson wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2018 17:11:17 +0100
>
> Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >I've noticed udev has been playing up lately.  In particular, switching on
> >wireless/bluetooth would cause udev to be pegged to 100% CPU and bluetooth
> >won't work.  USB won't work thereafter; e.g. unplugging a USB mouse and
> >replugging it is not detected.
> >
> >I had a look at /etc/runlevels and noticed two broken symlinks:
> >
> >lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   24 Nov 25  2013 tmpfiles.dev -> /etc/init.d/
> >tmpfiles.dev
> >lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   22 Oct 26  2012 udev-mount ->
> >/etc/init.d/udev-mount
> >
> >The following two symlinks in the same runlevel are valid:
> >
> >lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   16 May  2  2011 udev -> /etc/init.d/udev
> >lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   24 Feb 25  2017 udev-trigger -> /etc/init.d/udev-
> >trigger
>
> Not sure which runlevel(s) you’re listing here but if I read the
> sys-apps/openrc-0.35.5.ebuild correct, the expected runlevel for your
> broken ones is sysinit. I’m using OpenRC and haven’t these files, so
> same as Ian wrote.

Yes, the broken symlinks are from the sysinit runlevel.  I checked another
system of mine and it *also* has these broken symlinks ...  :-/

So, whatever mistake I made, I must have made it at least twice!  LOL!

Shouldn't the openrc or udev ebuild remove the symlinks, back when they became
depracated?

> >I'm not saying the above missing symlinks are causing the bluetooth
> >problem, but those symlinks should not be there.  Have I missed some
> >enotice to remove these two symlinks, or is something borked in my system?
>
> Maybe [1][2][3] are relevant here.

> <https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2015-06-08-udev-init-scripts-cha
> nges.html> [2]
> <https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2015-10-07-openrc-0-18-localmoun
> t-and-netmount-changes.html> [3]
> <https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2016-11-04-important_fstab_and_l
> ocalmount_update.html>

Thank you for these symlinks Floyd, I am using '/dev/sda1' notation for
partitions in /etc/fstab, rather than any of the /dev/disk/by-* symlinks.
Also, udev-settle is not in my sysinit runlevel.
--
Regards,
Mick