OK, I know my laptop is quite old, or at least Intel thinks so, but emerging
chromium is now taking *much* longer than it ever did:

     Tue Apr 24 11:55:49 2018 >>> www-client/chromium-66.0.3359.117
       merge time: 1 day, 16 minutes and 28 seconds.

I'm currently emerging chromium-66.0.3359.139, which I will be surprised if it
takes less time.  Six months ago or so I went through a patch where a chromium
emerge would chew up all of my 4G RAM and then start thrashing the swap
partition (4.2G) endlessly.  At some point I had to set up a secondary swap
space, because chromium would fail to emerge when swap ran out.  In addition I
started limiting the number of jobs (max and average) to stop it consuming all
my memory.

Since a couple of versions ago I no longer needed to use any of these manual
interventions.  Now chromium emerges without consuming all my RAM and hardly
any swap either.  However, as you can see above it takes more than a day(!) to
complete.  In a comparison a quad-core AMD which compiles wholly in RAM,
emerged the last version in  8 hours, 53 minutes and 41 seconds.

Is there anything I can do with the existing laptop and its limited resources
to speed up chromium's emerge?

--
Regards,
Mick