On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 11:31:32 -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> I have had it with compiling stuff from source on my laptop.  It is just
> too slow.  So I would like to create binary packages on my desktop and
> then just tell the laptop to use them.
>
> Simple enough, except that the desktop is AMD Phenom, and the laptop is
> Intel 64 bit Atom.  Up to now, each system had unique CFLAGS to squeeze
> as much performance as possible.
>
> On the desktop:
> CFLAGS="-march=barcelona --param l1-cache-size=64 --param
>  l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=512 -O2 -pipe"
>
> On the laptop:
> CFLAGS="-march=ivybridge --param l1-cache-size=32 --param
>  l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=4096 -O2 -pipe"
>
> I don't want to give up these tunings, but from the wiki page [1] I can
> see no straightforward way to have different CFLAGS when compiling
> binary packages, from the normal CFLAGS when installing directly from
> source on the host system.  Is the only way of doing this to set up a
> full-blown cross-development environment?

Set up a container (or chroot but a container is easier to manage)
containing a copy of the root filesystem of the laptop. Tweak make.conf
to add buildpkg and set an appropriate PKGDIR. then you can just enter
the container/chroot and run your world update or whatever else you want
to emerge.

Now export the PKGDIR over NFS and mount it on the laptop and add
--usepkg to the portage default opts in make.conf.

--
Neil Bothwick

Don't judge a book by its movie.