On 2018-06-13 02:57, David Haller wrote:

> First of all, I've seen quite a big boost just by using '-O3'!

You understand that I'm complaining about _compilation_ times, right?
>From my POV, -O3 globally will make the problem much worse.
Aside: I do have it on for a few packages where it is obviously a big
win, such as media codecs.

> ==== emerge-atom ===
> #!/bin/sh
> FEATURES="buildpkg"
> PKGDIR="${PORTDIR}/laptop_binpkg_dir"
> export CFLAGS="..."
> export CXXFLAGS="..."
> emerge "$@"
> ====

I like the simplicity of this suggestion, but it makes the whole
configuration asymmetric, which doesn't fit with my way of keeping it in
a git repo with branches for the different hosts.  The chroot is a
better match for that.

In the meantime, because I have some marginally free CPU resources
available, I tried distcc.  I can't get it to work in portage at all; it
fails to create some lockfile due to wrong permissions.  It may not be
hard to fix it but it makes me suspect the setup doesn't get much
testing, if any.