On 06/17/2018 12:17 PM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> What happens to files within the scope of CONFIG_PROTECT if I don't
> execute dispatch-conf or any similar thingy?  I have found the confusion
> the latter tool generates completely unsurmountable.

I think the side-by-side merger is very easy for small changes. Most of
the time I press z because I don't need the new changes.

> What I'd prefer is the debian behavior: the package supplied config file
> is simply saved under a mangled name (*.dpkg-dist alongside the real
> file on debian) and I'm left to merge the changes at my convenience,
> with my preferred tools.

You are free to do that. The files are named alongside the real files,
and they start with '._cfg'. Before I knew about dispatch-conf,
sometimes I would do:

for i in ._cfg*; do mv "$i" "${i/._cfg}"; done

> So that's my question in a nutshell: after emerge but before
> dispatch-conf, where are the new versions of config files?

find /etc/ -iname '._cfg*'

Or what dispatch-conf does:

find /etc -iname '._cfg????_*' ! -name '.*~' ! -iname '.*.bak' -print

--
Andrew