On Sun, 17 Jun 2018 19:35:05 -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> The problem (or multiple problems) here is that it doesn't say what is
> being merged into what (no, its not symmetric), and to compound that it
> doesn't just leave this file alone and quit or go on to the next file;
> it shows some diff again.  What does this new diff mean?  I can't make
> sense of it without answering my other questions.
>
> To clarify: I don't think this is simply a usability problem that can be
> addressed by using better or more verbose English.  I think there is a
> "big picture", a concept of what is being done, and this concept has not
> found its way into the documentation or the UI itself.

There are other config managers that handle this differently, if you
don't like etc-update try another. I tried a few some years ago and
settled on conf-update, others swear by cfg-update. conf-update lets you
configure the diff and merge programs it uses but I stuck with the
defaults except for using colordiff. Merging is interactive so you can
choose whether you accept your old setting or the new default for each
change. Like you, I treat my settings as the default and generally only
merge in new additions to the config or changed defaults.

--
Neil Bothwick

Microbiology: staph only.