Hi All,

A slightly off-topic question arising from a different distro, which may
replicate itself on Gentoo.

I installed Mint-Linux, in a VM.  The host PC MoBo has a legacy BIOS system.
I used a GPT scheme to create partitions on the virtual disk.  The first 1M on
the virtual disk was left empty by gdisk.  I thought GRUB can use this for its
core image.  Note, I did not create a partition in this 1MB empty space at the
start of the disk.

While running the Mint Installer I got a warning from its partition manager
telling me I had not specified a BIOS_grub partition and the installation may
fail.  I ignored the warning and continued with the installation, which
completed successfully.

A few weeks later I ran an update which among other packages updated grub2-
common.  An ncurses menu popped up warning me:

"The GRUB boot loaders was previously installed to a disk that is no longer
present, or whose unique identifier has changed for some reason".

It offered to install in /dev/vda, /dev/vda1, or /dev/vda2.  I selected /dev/
vda which represents the virtual disk.  It failed to install in /dev/vda
because the device did not contain a BIOS_grub partition.

I tried 'grub-install --force' and --boot-directory options, but in all cases
it failed to install.  At the end I had to create a new 1M partition with
gdisk and set its type to ef02 (BIOS boot partition), before grub would
install its core image successfully.

QUESTIONS:

Why/how the initial installation succeeded without an ef02 partition, but a
grub package update would not proceed without it?  Where did the Mint
installer store the grub core image to be able to continue with the
installation?

--
Regards,
Mick