On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 12:17 PM Philip Webb <purs...@ca.inter.net> wrote:
​[...]
> (1) What are people's experiences with Nouveau ?
>     -- does it work easily with various kernels ?

​Usually without any intervention from my part.

>     -- does it manage graphics stably & reliably ?

​Much more than with the NVidia binary driver, at least in my case.

>     -- I don't do much with video (a few newsreels) & don't use sound.
​
I watch video (both desktop and YouTube), listen to music and edit some
video. Also I edit some images with Inkscape and/or Gimp. And normal
desktop use.

> (2) If I install it, how do I switch between Nouveau & Nvidia ?

​Basically "eselect opengl set​ xorg-11" or "nvidia". Also, for NVidia you
must add a Xorg.conf snippet in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ so you set the NVidia
device for the binary driver.

> (3) Sadly, I didn't make a Quickpkg of the Nvidia version I was using
> when my scanner was working with Gentoo (last time 180626).
> I have the distfiles, but not the ebuilds :
> is there anywhere I can find ebuilds for Nvidia-Drivers 390.42 390.48 ?

​Git to the rescue:

https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers?id=9a52478a2329ffce09c4c1a400934499fcb5ae93
​

​I should mention that I use GNOME. The nouveau drivers have been working
like a charm for GNOME for several years.

​Regards.
--
Dr. Canek Peláez Valdés
Profesor de Carrera Asociado C