You are completely right - plasma does expect OpenGL to do what is expected from the specs. I don't think GNOME pushes the limits as far. And I would use GNOME if it suited my needs - which I'm quite sure my last mail made abundantly clear that it doesn't.

Still, can't really blame plasma. That's like blaming a racing engine when it explodes on shitty fuel. The culprit is (unfortunately) Nouveau, no matter how much I wish it weren't so. And I wish it a whole heap.

-d