Thank you for the feedback.  You have have a total hang but for mouse
movements, is that correct?

uname -r says:

  4.9.76-gentoo-r1

Is that the kernel version?  I wonder if I should try to get a newer kernel
from gentoo...

I wonder if anyone at gentoo could supply a maillist URL from the people doing
AMDGPU?