I have a similar problem with my machine. Ever since >=4.17.something I've had the mouse and keyboard stop working in X randomly, and usually reconnecting them fixes it, the glaring difference is my GPU is Nvidia.

I noticed the system was not really hanging because one hang I tried doing a magic sysrq reisub and the keyboard did not respond. Could it be the same issue?

On 8/22/18 1:46 PM, cts.priv...@web.de wrote:
Thank you for the feedback.  You have have a total hang but for mouse
movements, is that correct?

uname -r says:

   4.9.76-gentoo-r1

Is that the kernel version?  I wonder if I should try to get a newer kernel
from gentoo...

I wonder if anyone at gentoo could supply a maillist URL from the people doing
AMDGPU?

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 22. August 2018 um 21:29 Uhr
Von: "Rich Freeman" <ri...@gentoo.org>
An: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Betreff: Re: [gentoo-user] AMDGPU eventually hangs my system

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 3:06 PM <cts.priv...@web.de> wrote:
I finally got my kernel rebuilt with support for the AMDGPU.  ...  Then my
system started hanging.

I've had the same issues.  On recent kernels like 4.17.17 it isn't too
bad, but sometimes it will hang on boot or on shutdown.  Hangs during
running aren't as common, but I've seen one or two.  I'm hoping it
gets sorted out in future kernels.

I'm running upstream kernels so this isn't a Gentoo issue.

--
Rich