Daniel Frey wrote:
> On 12/1/18 8:38 PM, Dale wrote:
>> It's been a while but last I used Fluxbox, it was tiny.  If you just do
>> a basic install, it isn't much to it.  Of course, it isn't feature rich
>> either but it should run well on a low powered machine or consume very
>> little resources on a bigger system.  I've got two fluxbox packages
>> installed here.  Here is some info on them.
>>

>> root@fireball / # equery s x11-themes/fluxbox-styles-fluxmod
>> x11-wm/fluxbox
>>   * x11-themes/fluxbox-styles-fluxmod-20050128-r1
>>           Total files : 1539
>>           Total size  : 4.22 MiB
>>
>>   * x11-wm/fluxbox-1.3.7-r3
>>           Total files : 339
>>           Total size  : 3.89 MiB
>> root@fireball / #
>>

>> I'm not sure the top one is needed.  I think I installed it so I could
>> tweak a few things.  At one point, I thought about switching, back when
>> KDE was a disaster.
>>
>> I'm sure others will have ideas but you may want to check into Fluxbos.
>> Install time is pretty short.  If you don't like it, just unmerge it.  I
>> keep it installed here just in case a KDE update goes sideways.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
>>

> Thanks Dale!
>
> After the new stable 4.14.x kernel finishes compiling I think I'll
> give that a try. I completely forgot about fluxbox. The one I was
> thinking about was maybe enlightenment, but there are likely many of
> these things out there.
>
> On that machine I don't even boot to a login manager of any sort. So
> keeping things simple is great.
>
> Dan

You may want to google to be sure but I think the command can be
something like:

startx <path to fluxbox> Should be /usr/bin/fluxbox.

That's if you want to start it manually each time.  There are others
ways if you want.  I think the only requirement is a working video card
driver, nvidia-drivers in my case.

Hope you find something you like.  You are right, there are a LOT of
them out there.

Dale

:-)  :-)