On Sat, 1 Dec 2018 22:38:01 -0600
Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Daniel Frey wrote:
> > I've been trying to clean up my machines (pruning world file, etc)
> > and am making progress.
> >
> > I ran into one issue, that being on my server (mythtv, file, etc) I
> > am normally in text/ssh mode but occasionally I need X for
> > something.
> >
> > Does anyone have suggestions for a small-footprint window manager (I
> > have no need for a full desktop environment) as twm is just fugly
> > and sometimes not intuitive. I also don't need a file manager as I
> > use Midnight Commander which works well for my needs. This all
> > stems from occasionally needing a gui for configuring mythtv or the
> > ability to have two shells open side by side.
> >
> > I am thinking others have most likely had this problem at some point
> > and have found something that's lightweight for this type of
> > purpose.
> >
> > Dan
> >

> It's been a while but last I used Fluxbox, it was tiny.  If you just
> do a basic install, it isn't much to it.  Of course, it isn't feature
> rich either but it should run well on a low powered machine or
> consume very little resources on a bigger system.  I've got two
> fluxbox packages installed here.  Here is some info on them.
>

> root@fireball / # equery s x11-themes/fluxbox-styles-fluxmod
> x11-wm/fluxbox
>  * x11-themes/fluxbox-styles-fluxmod-20050128-r1
>          Total files : 1539
>          Total size  : 4.22 MiB
>
>  * x11-wm/fluxbox-1.3.7-r3
>          Total files : 339
>          Total size  : 3.89 MiB
> root@fireball / #

Windowmaker is also a good choice.  I'm still using for main desktop.

$ equery s windowmaker
 * x11-wm/windowmaker-0.95.8-r1
         Total files : 495
         Total size  : 5.76 MiB

Or you may consider forwarding X to the machine you are connecting
from:

 $ ssh -Y <server>

Then start whatever X application you need and it will be displayed on
your local machine.  You do not need window manager on the server.

Robert

--
Róbert Čerňanský
E-mail: ope...@tightmail.com