Dale wrote:
> J. Roeleveld wrote:
>> On December 20, 2018 11:45:29 AM UTC, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>     Peter Humphrey wrote:
>>

>> Next upgrade idea:
>> - mainboard with NVME slot
>> - NVME drive for your OS.
>>
>> Your CPU and memory will be the next bottleneck :)
>>

>> --
>

> Yea.  I looked into rebuilding from scratch, less the case of course.
> I'm just not sure it would be worth the speed increase.  The biggest
> things I needed, more drive space and more memory.  The CPU was just
> on sale.  Hard to beat $75.00 for a 8 core CPU running at over 4GHz.
> Right now, it's plenty fast.  I may consider it after I do some other
> things tho.  I plan to do a emerge -e world before to long.  I wanted
> to let the new CPU compound sort of get set in.
>
> I might add, the new video card is way overpowered for what I do.
> LOL  Most of the time, it maxes out at about 10% of its power and less
> than 10% for memory usage.  I really can't tell much difference from
> my old 220 to this new 650 series.  The biggest difference, the 650
> runs much cooler.  I just hope it doesn't get bored and go to sleep.
> ;-)  Oh, when I run glxgears at full screen, it still only goes to
> about 60%.  It warms up a little but not a whole lot.
>
> Now to go see what a NVME drive is.  I don't recall ever hearing of
> those.  Sounds interesting.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

OMG.  Those things are fast.  Those things make a sata drive look like a
snail or something and let's not mention the old IDE drives.  Thing is,
I've got a 160GB drive for the OS itself right now.  Even a 256GB one of
those isn't to bad price wise.  The OS is really all I'd need on that
thing anyway.  The sata drives are plenty fast enough for watching
videos etc.  I wonder, how much faster would emerges go on those
things?  One wouldn't even need portage's work directory on tmpfs with
that.

Wow!!!

Dale

:-)  :-)