вс, 6 янв. 2019 г. в 02:54, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com>:

> gevisz wrote:
> > вт, 1 янв. 2019 г. в 06:45, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com>:
> >> With the newer Firefox versions, I've noticed something weird about
> >> downloading files.  Usually these are videos using a download helper for
> >> videos and sometimes it is a normal file download, depends on the site.
> >> Either way, I get something odd at times.  So far, I've yet to see any
> >> rhyme or reason to it.  I can't figure out what triggers it.  This is
> >> what it does.  I start a download, either using a video helper add on or
> >> downloading as a file.  I give it a name and location and it shows in
> >> the download window that it is downloading.  However, if I go to the
> >> directory where it should be, sometimes nothing shows up.  It will
> >> complete the download and then show that it failed after finishing the
> >> download.  However, if I notice that it is not in the directory where it
> >> should be and I go back to the download window, hit pause and then
> >> resume, it starts over from the beginning and then shows up in the
> >> directory where it should be.  Most of the time, it shows up that it is
> >> downloading and it is where it should be without be doing anything
> >> further but sometimes, it doesn't.
> >>
> >> One other thing that it does on rare occasions.  It will show it is
> >> downloading for a good while, sometimes more than half way, then
> >> disappear in the directory as if it is deleted but still show that it is
> >> downloading in the download window.  I've only seen it do that a few
> >> times but it is annoying to look and make sure it is downloading a file
> >> that takes a hour or more only to have it disappear part way through.
> >>
> >> This started with the new multi-process versions or whatever it is
> >> called of Firefox.  It acts like a permissions problem or something to
> >> me.  It either thinks it doesn't have write permissions at the start or
> >> thinks it loses them part way through or something.  If it only did this
> >> when using the add on, I'd think it is that but it also does it when I'm
> >> downloading as a file with no add on being used.  Either way, I'm not
> >> sure what to look into really.  I'm not even sure what to google for to
> >> see if anyone else is noticing this.  What does one call this problem???
> >>
> > I experience similar problems with downloading files in Firefox for quite
> > a long time. I cannot say for how long time exactly, but estimating it
> > from memory: for about a few years. Yes, t is quite annoying but
> > currently I have already got the habit to open download manager
> > every time I download a file, stop downloading it and then restart again.
> > (I even try to do the same automatically while using other web browsers
> >  like chromium or google-chrome. :)
> >
> > However, I believe that it has nothing to do with "the newer Firefox
> > versions"
> > as I still use Firefox version 52.9.0 (compiled without clang) and all these
> > troubles with downloading files started even on much more earlier versions.

> [...]

I should clarify: I experience the said download problem only in Firefox,
never with Chromium or Google-chrome. I have mentioned Chromium
and Google-chrome only to indicate that my habit of opening download
manager became so unconscious that I try to open download manager
even in Chromium and Google-chrome, when it is not needed.

Luckily, the hot keys for opening download manager in Firefox and
Chromium/Google-chrome do not coincide, so I just end up opening
something else and then realize that download manager is not needed.

I never used LVM as I believe that it increases the chance of loosing
all the information on hard disks.

And yes, I do use ext4 as it is the default file system for Linux.

P.S. Most often, I download html pages and have noticed that the
said download problem does not arise when I download html pages
in the so called "read" view, that is after pressing that little book icon
in the Firefox URL address line, whereas downloading the same pages
from a usual default view, with a lot of additional files, almost sure
leads to the said download problem.