On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 4:16 PM Wols Lists <antli...@youngman.org.uk> wrote:

> On 13/07/19 20:23, Mick wrote:
> > Thanks Corbin, I wonder if despite articles about microcode patch releases
> > deal with spectre and what not, there are just no patches made available for
> > my aging AMD CPUs.
>
> Or Spectre and what not are Intel specific ...
>
> I know a lot of the reports said many of the exploits don't work on AMD.
> It's something to do with the way Intel has implemented speculative
> execution, and AMD doesn't use that technique.

Some spectre-related vulnerabilities apply to AMD, and some do not.
Most of the REALLY bad ones do not, but I believe that some of the AMD
ones still require microcode updates to be mitigated in the most
efficient way.

Take a look in /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities on your system
for the kernel's assessment of what vulnerabilities apply, and how
they are being mitigated.  What you want to see is every single one
either saying "Not affected" or they start with "Mitigation:"  If you
see one starting with something like Partial Mitigation or Vulnerable
you should Google if there is something you can do to improve this.

Note that this assumes you have a current kernel.  The kernel can only
report the vulnerabilities it knows about, so if you're running some
kernel from 9 months ago it won't know about everything.

For reference, on my Ryzen 5 1600 I get:
for x in * ; do echo -n "$x: " ; cat $x ; done

l1tf: Not affected
mds: Not affected
meltdown: Not affected
spec_store_bypass: Mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via
prctl and seccomp
spectre_v1: Mitigation: __user pointer sanitization
spectre_v2: Mitigation: Full AMD retpoline, STIBP: disabled, RSB filling

--
Rich