Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 10:50:08 +0000, Mick wrote:
>
>>> Magic SysReq would probably have helped in those situations. ext3/4
>>> only journal metadata by default, you can specify a mount option to
>>> also journal data but it impacts performance.
>> When X hangs and I lose the keyboard to the extent where neither
>> Ctrl+Alt+F1, or Ctrl+Alt+Del would work, I will use ssh to connect
>> remotely and stop the hanging process or restat the X server.  If ssh
>> is also not working, I use the magic SysReq sequence to stop processes,
>> sync the disks and reboot, or shutdown.  I don't recall losing data in
>> such cases, although when I have time I run fsck with Live media just
>> in case.
> I do the same, but configuring the power button to do a clean shutdown
> may like life simpler.

I don't have a second system to ssh in with but if I did, that's what
I'd do as well, or try at least.  Recently, I only run into trouble when
a tab on Firefox goes memory hungry.  Most of the time it grows slowly
and I'm able to catch it.  I just close Firefox or just kill that one
process, which kills Tree Style Tab add-on.  Once it consumes my memory
and most of my swap, it gets pretty unresponsive.  o_O  I think I did a
thread on this a while back.  I'm not sure which to blame, the add-on or
Firefox or even both.

It's rare that I have a hard lock up that is the kernel itself.  Usually
I can get something to work given enough time.  Still, given the amount
of data I have stored here, some irreplaceable, options are nice.  Good
clean options are really nice.

Dale

:-)  :-)