On Tuesday, 26 November 2019 23:14:32 GMT Dale wrote:
> [...]
> > (or PPPoA) client in your router's management interface.  DHCP and DNS
> > server functionality will also be provided by your router for all devices
> > on your LAN.  The modem will be just a dumb box between the ISP and your
> > router.
> >
> > In the unlikely chance your router does not possess such PPP
> > authentication
> > functionality, you will have to replace your router with one which does
> > and at the same time look to buy one which offers IPv6 too.
>
> I'm almost certain my router can do this.  I've done it before but with
> a wired only version.  I think they have the same basic firmware since
> all the screens look alike, except for the wireless part being added.
> Thing is, I don't think the router has IPv6 capabilities.  It's a WRT54G
> version 6 that I use now.  I switched to a wireless one when I got my
> cell phone which needs wi-fi.  The old wired router was the same model
> less the G on the end if I recall correctly.  I suspect a new router is
> due, age and lack of firmware updates if nothing else.  I think the
> firmware is about a decade old.
>
> >> I do have a
> >> newer gray modem that came with the DSL kit.  I stopped using it because
> >> it got so warm.  The old black box one runs cool and it has more vent
> >> holes.  I may have to check and see if the gray one supports v6 but it
> >> is fairly old too.  It's at least 10 years old.
> >
> > ADSL ATM encapsulation technology has not changed for many years now.  I
> > don't think age (or colour) matters really, unless you can see smoke
> > coming out of it when you power it up!  LOL!
>
> I mention the color because some may remember the old thing.  When I see
> a black Westell, I know what it is.  Heck, I found most of the ones I
> got at a thrift store for $6.00.  lol  I can generally recognize the
> gray ones BUT some look a lot alike but are different on the inside.
>
> >> My router also makes no mention of IPv4 or v6.  I suspect it is in the
> >> same boat as the modem, it doesn't support it and doesn't have the
> >> option to either.  I did go to the Linksys website and look for a
> >> firmware upgrade, nothing available, not even a old one.
> >
> > You haven't provided any model names[1] so it's difficult to google things
> > for you, or suggest solutions.  Have a look here to see if your router is
> > still supported by this open source Linux firmware:
> >
> > https://openwrt.org/supported_devices
> >
> > https://openwrt.org/toh/start
> >
> > Other alternative(s):
> >
> > http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato
>
> Model is above.  I've read about openwrt but always been nervous about
> trying it.  I've read where some have bricked their router.  You know me
> and my luck.  If it can be bricked, I can do it, real good.  LOL  ;-D  I
> tried to find out how much memory and such my old router has but I can't
> find it anywhere.  It may not show it so I may end up googling for it
> online.  See if I can find a spec sheet somewhere.

Ahh ... OK.  Try to flog it on flea-bay and buy something more powerful.
WRT54G v5/6 routers were crippled by Linksys compared to previous models.
They come with minuscules amounts of RAM - 8MB, half that of previous models
and also half the flash disk - 2MB:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series#Hardware_revisions

The only firmware which will run on them is DD-WRT, but I'm not sure it's
worth the hassle.  Get rid of it and buy a newer device with more flash and
RAM on it.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G_v5.0_%26_5.1_%26_6.0

> I just did one quick search for 'wireless router IPv6' and didn't see a
> lot.  However, it may not be finding them all since it may not be in the
> description since new ones come with it by default.  In other words,
> they don't include IPv6 in the description for it to find it.  I'll do
> some more searching but I'll ask here before I buy one unless it
> specifically says it supports IPv6 somewhere.  No point buying one just
> like I got now.  :/
>
> I just don't want to wait until my internet stops working right to
> upgrade this stuff.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

May be worth buying something which is (currently) supported by OpenWRT.
Their website and wiki make various hardware recommendations.

https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_available_864

There are also a number of Linux firewall projects if you want to repurpose an
old PC with more than one NIC and use that as a firewall/router.
--
Regards,

Mick