On Wednesday, 11 December 2019 06:31:04 CET Andrew Udvare wrote:
> I have been getting relatively consistent kernel panics on some call to
> find_css_set and sometimes a stack trace that mentions cgroups.

Can you provide the full kernel panic (a picture taken with phone or camera
attached to an email is fine as well) and tell us at which point this happens?

> On 5.4.0 I don't get this same crash and I added blocking of
> auto-loading nvidia under the ramdisk just in case that's the issue, as
> I was sometimes getting a similar crash on 5.4.0.

I am "still" on 5.3.14, but not encountering any kernel panics myself.

> /etc/default/grub:
>
> GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES=lvm
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd

Not using systemd myself.

> systemd.legacy_systemd_cgroup_controller=yes rd.driver.blacklist=nvidia
> rd.driver.blacklist=nvidia_modeset rd.driver.blacklist=nvidia_drm"
> GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX="keep"
>
> The reason the legacy argument is there is because Docker won't work
> under the new cgroups, for now.
>
> I have a couple of modules, but the one that sticks out most is nvidia.
> This is the one I see in the stack trace. I have not seen a bug report
> on Gentoo or Nvidia's end.

Nvidia (and some other modules) "taint" the kernel. Any module that "taints"
the kernel WILL be listed when a kernel-panic occurs. I never found that info
really helpful as I never had those modules to be the cause.

> For now I've masked >5.4.0 gentoo-sources.
>
> Anyone else getting a similar issue?

No, but an upgrade to 5.4.x is on my todo-list.

--
Joost