On 2019-12-10 21:31, Andrew Udvare wrote:
I have been getting relatively consistent kernel panics on some call to
find_css_set and sometimes a stack trace that mentions cgroups.

On 5.4.0 I don't get this same crash and I added blocking of
auto-loading nvidia under the ramdisk just in case that's the issue, as
I was sometimes getting a similar crash on 5.4.0.

/etc/default/grub:

GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES=lvm
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd
systemd.legacy_systemd_cgroup_controller=yes rd.driver.blacklist=nvidia
rd.driver.blacklist=nvidia_modeset rd.driver.blacklist=nvidia_drm"
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX="keep"

The reason the legacy argument is there is because Docker won't work
under the new cgroups, for now.

I have a couple of modules, but the one that sticks out most is nvidia.
This is the one I see in the stack trace. I have not seen a bug report
on Gentoo or Nvidia's end.

For now I've masked >5.4.0 gentoo-sources.

Anyone else getting a similar issue?

Thanks
Andrew

I have just installed fresh new gentoo installs with 5.4.2 and both machines use nvidia-drivers - I have not seen this at all.

I have been doing a fair bit of compiling on one of the machines and haven't had any hiccups whatsoever.

Dan