On Tuesday, December 24, 2019 10:53:13 AM CET Mick wrote:
> On Tuesday, 24 December 2019 06:40:13 GMT Dale wrote:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > It seems plasmashell and wallpapers for the desktop has a problem.  I'm
> > not sure if it is just me or if it could affect others.  Either way, I
> > have no idea how to fix it.  I have a LOT of wallpapers that I've
> > downloaded/collected over the years.  Some are NASA pics of Mars, stars,
> > galaxies and a whole lot of others that I've accumulated over the last
> > 15 years or so.  According to Dolphin and the properties box, it's well
> > over 100,000 of them.
>
> WOW!  A rather large number I would think.
>
> > I have them all in a directory named, wait for
> > it, wallpapers.  Under that they are sorted in directories by what they
> > are, where they come from or whatever.  I try not to go to deep but it
> > does pick up at least two or three levels deep.  I've had it set that
> > way for ages and it has always worked with the only problem being it
> > picking them at random.  Some are intended to be like a slideshow.
> > Anyway, they added the option of doing them in different orders
> > including a-z, which is nice.  It will be nicer if I can get it to work
> > now.  ;-)
> >
> > Problem.  When I have it set to the main directory and I login to KDE,
> > plasmashell goes nuts.  It hogs up a full CPU core and never stops.
> > It's not exactly memory friendly either.  The little panel thingy at the
> > bottom, the thing with the clock and the pager etc, locks up tight.  The
> > clock doesn't change, you can't select anything with it or anything
> > else.  Just for giggles, I left it for half a hour or so hoping it would
> > finish whatever it was doing but it never did.  Killing plasmashell and
> > restarting results in the same problem.  Once it does that, I have to
> > downgrade to a earlier version of plasma.  While fiddling with it today,
> > I had the idea of manually restarting plasmashell and letting it show on
> > the screen what it was doing.  Since the panel thingy won't work,
> > neither does the clipboard so no copy and paste of the actual error
> > itself.  What it showed me tho was that the wallpapers was the problem.
> > It said something about bad metadata for each and every wallpaper image
> > I have stored.  I can't recall the error exactly but may can reproduce
> > it later.
>
> Take a pic of it so you have a more precise idea what it reports and google
> for ideas on what may be causing it.  If you're on a console use tee to
> redirect the output to a file, or use gpm to select some text off the screen
> and paste it in a file.
>
> > I suspect when the option to have them random or in order was
> > added, something changed in the way it looks at the directory.  Thing
> > is, I have no idea how to make this work like it should with all of them
> > enabled.
>
> I have found the file indexer occasionally chews up CPU non-stop.  I think I
> disabled it at some point but in any case I have not noticed it chewing up
> [...]

Or run the following:
find ./ -iname "*" -type f -exec file {} \; > /tmp/file.txt

from inside the Wallpaper-folder and check the output (see file /tmp/file.txt)
for anything obvious.

You will have a long line per file, so using "grep -v " to filter out known
good results might help in finding the problem file(s)

--
Joost