On 18/02/2020 01:21, Rich Freeman wrote:
On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 6:00 PM Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hm. I'm too chicken to try it because I'm not sure it does what I think
it does, but does the "--ephemeral" option pretty much do *exactly* what
Dale was asking about? Can you start your current "/" as a container
as-is, emerge packages in it and save them as binaries, then install
those from the outside, then shutdown the container and all is forgotten?

Obvious way to test this would be to just set up a VM.  It has the
obvious advantage of always being in-sync with your host config.

I think I might actually try playing around with this.  I'm on zfs
though so I'm not sure how it will perform.

I just tested it in a throw-away Ubuntu VM running on ext4. It crashed and burned due to disk space. It tried to duplicate the whole "/" with zero error checks. So free space reached 0 but it still didn't abort. I had to abort with ctrl+c. Free space was then 200MB (out of 20GB). I did "du -sh /*" to find where all the GBs went, but it doesn't find it.

So... yeah. Not very convincing implementation. Don't try it at home, kids :-P