On 2020-02-15 8:48 a.m., Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
On Fri, Feb 14, 2020, at 15:03, Colleen Beamer wrote:
Hi,

There seems to be a problem with loading MySQL.  During the boot process
when it comes to the loading of MySQL it hangs.  Is there a way to
bypass the loading of MySQL so the computer will complete booting and I
can make sure I've gotten everything that I want off of it before I wipe it?

Probably the easiest way would be to download the gentoo boot CD or the LiveCD
of another Linux distro, boot the computer w/ the LiveCD, mount the hard drive,
and see if there's anything you need that way.

Once you're booted from a LiveCD, you could also chroot into your Gentoo
install and prevent MySQL starting on boot with OpenRC/systemd if you wanted to
reboot from Gentoo and look at your files from Gentoo.

Alec

I've downloaded the Gentoo Live CD and managed to mount the hard drive on my computer.  However, I can't figure out how to get any files that I want off the computer.  I put a blank CD in the drive, but it won't let me write to it.  I've also tried using a USB hard drive that I have, but it won't let me mount it.  I've never actually used a Live CD for recovery purposes so, I'm at a bit of a loss here.  The second suggestion would be okay, but I don't know how to do that.

Colleen