Hello,

On Tue, 17 Mar 2020, Neil Bothwick wrote:
>> > What are you using to get that niformation?
>>
>> smartctl -A /dev/sdX
>
>83% after five years of recompiling LO and Chromium, not bad :)

# smartctl -a /dev/sda
Device Model:     SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series
User Capacity:    128,035,676,160 bytes [128 GB]
Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical
[..]
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   091   091   000    Old_age   Always
-       42855
177 Wear_Leveling_Count     0x0013   093   093   000    Pre-fail  Always
-       245
241 Total_LBAs_Written      0x0032   099   099   000    Old_age   Always
-       12835630376

[9 would be ~4.9 years nonstop, 241 is almost 6TiB written, or about
50ish full drive writes]

That's been running here since Jul 2012, but I tried to reduce
unnecessary writes to it. I did use it for PORTAGE_TMPDIR for a while
but that rather quickly reduces the wear leveling from 96 to the
current 93.

HTH,
-dnh

--
The Royal Architects were tasked with constructing an edifice known as the
Organisation's In[ft]ernal Webshite. It was grand, it was shiney, it was