Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 05:13:52AM -0500, Dale wrote:
>> Neil Bothwick wrote:

>>> 83% after five years of recompiling LO and Chromium, not bad :)
>>>

>> Dang.  That makes me feel better about getting one now.  Heck, I'm using
>> a 160GB drive currently for my OS.
> A hard disk that small is probably also very old, and thus slow.
>
> When I was still a poor little student, I used a 500 Gig WD disk as main
> drive for everything. It came originally from one of my first external
> enclosures. At some point it started to exhibit failures.
>
> By then I was earning my own dough. So I got me a brand-new WD Blue 1 TB.
> That drive had a speed increase of 150(!) %. IOW, it was 2½ times as fast as
> the old one. I still have the screenshots from HD Tune from back then.
> Imagine the speed-up you will get even from an up-to-date harddisk compared
> to your old veteran.

True.  I've seen that in the past too.  The drive is a WD black which I
think at the time was a server grade type thing.  It's actually pretty
dang fast.  Someone on this list wanted to get rid of it so they shipped
it to me.  Hey, it works.  It's fairly fast.  Odds are, if I get a SSD
and later build a NAS rig, it'll go in that.  I tend to use drives until
they break, in something. ;-)

Still, even if the drive was new, a SSD would still be faster.  That's
the theory at least.  lol

Dale

:-)  :-)